Monday, February 01, 2010

Dallas Cowboy PSL and Ticket prices

Dallas Cowboy PSL and Ticket prices
4
09
2009
I’m not really sure why there hasn’t been more chatter about the exorbitant prices that Jerry Jones is charging for both the PSL’s and tickets but I am going to examine both in this blog.

Let’s first look at the PSL’s. The Cowboy’s wanted me to “invest” $16,000 per PSL for tickets I used to own at Texas Stadium. So let’s do the quick math here…I owned 6 tickets together that used to be on the 30ydline. Now I was being offered 6 tickets together on the 20 ydline at a PSL price of $16,000. 6x$16,000=$96,000. I repeat $96,000! This will give me the opportunity each year to pay $340.00 more per ticket to go watch the Cowboy’s play…oh boy! Now, I don’t know about you but I used to think that the word “investment” meant that there would be a return on the money I was investing. Jerry’s way is that it’s only giving me the opportunity to spend more money for his investment! If anyone were smart enough to do the math prior to purchasing the PSL’s, they would have realized that by earning 5% on $96,000, they would have made $4800. With that $4800 they could have taken that money and picked the games they really wanted to go to, buy the best tickets there and not be obligated to the Cowboys to pay $340 per game for the whole season. In addition, they wouldn’t be obligated to pay $340 per ticket for preseason games. Can you imagine owning 6 tickets for preseason games…that’s a cost of $2040 per game….ouch! In case you didn’t know this tidbit, there are PSL’s for $35,000 and $50,000….do the math on that investment!

Let’s talk a little about the face value on the club seats which are $340. When I had my initial meeting with my used car salesman…I mean sales representative, I asked how the Cowboy’s had determined their pricing and he replied “you guys get it, so why shouldn’t we?.” The Cowboy’s automatically assumed because they saw tickets being listed on the internet that all of the tickets were actually being sold for those prices. I replied, that we would be lucky to get that price for one or two games a year, depending on the schedule and how well the Cowboy’s were playing at the time. The Cowboy’s were so worried that they were leaving money on the table that they thought that all fans would want to pay $340 to go to a game because brokers were getting it. I had to explain to my representative that the people who are buying tickets on the secondary market are paying that price because they’re only going to select games and they can afford to buy one or two games at those prices. More importantly, the tickets that are being sold on the secondary market are only a fraction of what the primary seller originally sold. What does this mean? More math…sorry! If the Cowboys sell 70,000 tickets for a game and out of these tickets 5% reach the secondary market, we are only talking about 3500 tickets. These tickets are what owners seemed to be so concerned about! So instead of making sure that games stay affordable for the fans that are willing to buy season tickets, they decide to alienate all the fans with these ridiculous face values and that’s in addition to the already crazy PSL prices!

Once again common sense seems to tell me, if the Cowboy’s are going to charge you an incredible amount of money for the PSL’s, wouldn’t it be in their best interest to sell the season tickets at a reasonable price?

I guess Jerry wants to have his cake and eat it too!

One last note, I was at the Cowboy preseason game the other night and sat in section 335 row 13 (this is a$50,000 PSL) which I bought for $40 a ticket out in front of the stadium and I will tell you that it’s like sitting in the upper deck of most other stadiums….it’s way up there! We wound up watching the majority of the game on the Texas sized Jerrytron that actually becomes quite distracting after a while. I guess I’ll be watching the rest of the season on my big screen HDTV at home….the beer is a lot cheaper!


blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Clicky Web Analytics